Monday, May 13, 2013


CHANGE

I thought it was awesome to talk to all of you, especially my Mami and yes they do say Mami here in Chile.   Thanks mom for everything!  Dad sent me an awesome email that said you have a natural beauty and you also have the ability to bring the best out of people and it is true. Also I would like to add that you have mastered the home. You could say that you are a mother to the home as Yoda is a Master to the Jedi.  I dont think there can be a mother better on the planet than mine. I think that is why you always end up in the primary because who better than a master mother to help teach young children the gospel. Thanks for all you do for me mom!! I love you and feel blessed to be your son. I really can’t think of a person more kind, loving, and fun  to be around. I know I have said this a lot but I still miss your sense of humor and that also is very important.

This week I have been thinking a lot about change. The mission is to help others change their life and really help them be reborn in a life devoted to Jesus Christ.  But what about the missionary?  I know a purpose for me is to help me gain a testimony that is part of me.  I was reading a talk by Elder Bednar from October conference that said there is a testimony and then there is conversion. Conversion is as offering of ones self and soul to the Lord and the desire to do that comes from the gratitude we have for our testimonies. I often think to myself “am I serving a mission because I love the Lord and if not what do I need to change to make that happen.” 

I really feel like I am serving here for the Lord and to help people know this joy of repenting and coming unto him. I think of Alma 36: 21 when he tells his experience of before and after repentance.

This week we had a special conference on repentance.   We learned how to teach it better and how we as missionaries struggle with repentance. Repentance is a change in our lives and our thoughts and desires that brings a greater drive to put our lives in line with the example of Christ.  This equals change everyday. But I think what a lack right now is that change. I don’t feel like I have changed that much on my mission but I have not been searching for that change ether. 

I decided the other day that I am going to search out this change that I want the blessings that come through the repentance process. I set goals of things I want to change and I now have a lot of questions to find answers in my studies too. But I want to change to be the missionary that God wants and needs. I have been asking almost every missionary I have met what I should look for and what I should feel when I have really changed from my mission. None of them gave me an answer. But I realized that they don’t know. No one can know except the Lord and I have to search for the answer in study and prayer and in my actions as a missionary and then I will find the answers. It is a promise in the scriptures, “ask and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.”
Repentance doesn’t necessarily mean you have done a bad sin, it is just a change that brings stronger devotion to Jesus Christ.

Also we had a miracle this week. There is a family in our ward who have had the desire to be baptized for almost a year but couldn’t get married because they had some legal things to work out, but they got permission to get married this week and tomorrow are going to get legally married.  In 1 or 2 weeks they can get baptized! I can’t wait for that! It will be such an awesome moment for this family because they have wanted this for so long and now they can finally make these covenants with the Lord. That is so Cool!! They definitely endured through this trial and the blessings are just waiting for them now.

Last we have a new investigator named Brijitte. She is in a trial right now with her ex- husband who is trying to take her daughter away from her. She told us she needs a lot of help and she has been investigating a lot of religions to find it and has not found it. She is really open to our message and we invited her to get baptized on June 9 and she said yes only if she knows it is true. But I feel really good about her because she  is prepared for the gospel and it is going to change her life. We just need to rely in Moroni's promise, If we have faith and real intention to know the truth it will be manifested to us. I know this promise is true because I have felt it and  I know that Brijitte will feel it too as she studies the Book of Mormon--which she has already started to read. I am so thankful to be serving in the mission right now. I know this is the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that He  leads this work. He is the Savior of the world and will never leave us. The mission is a great place to learn more about what really matters it is not about money or cars it is about Christ and helping others.

Thanks for all your help, love and support  you have given me and thanks for talking to me yesterday.
Les Quiero
Elder Christensen



No comments:

Post a Comment